Friday, November 7, 2008

The Adventure Continues

This is going to be a short blog, I am way too tired to be putting much thought into coherent sentances, but I thought I should check in and let you all know where I am headed.

I officially lived a dream of mine; I saw the Taj Mahal. It was beautiful. The experience was not so great. Too many tourists with HUGE cameras and pushy attitudes. It was for sure a major culture shock, I can't imagine what returning to the states will be like.

I have left Calcutta, obviously, and it was hard. Leaving my work then leaving an amazing community of volunteers was something that put tears in my eyes when I was on the train to Agra. The train was crazy, crazy uncomfortable. I slept for only 5 hours of the 22 hour journey. But I met a great Bangladesh family who was also headed to the Taj.

Agra is okay. Not much different from Calcutta except for the lack of honking, which is a great change.

Okay, break out a map of India!

Tonight I head out for Pushkar where two other travelers and I will meet up with 10 other volunteers for the annual Pushkar Camel Fair! The experience should produce a good camel fair, so stay posted.

From Pushkar the volunteer groups plans to travel further west to Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, then Udaipur. From Udaipur a good friend of mine and myself, will travel far north to Rishikesh and stay around a week doing some meditation and yoga. Around the first week of December I will meet up with some more friends and travel into Nepal for trekking. I'm not sure how long I will stay but I plan on being back in Calcutta on the 11th of December.

5 comments:

jpozmolesky said...

sounds amazing.

Natalie Kristine said...

CAMELS!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Joes.. thanks for the post. i miss you loads and it's always good to hear new things. you sound well, calm, slightly less manic than you were here.. haha.

i have a month left in seattle and then a week in mexico and a week in juneau. i'm sad that i won't be seeing you before i leave, but it will be nice to be in the same country!... if only for a week.

goodbye my love. talk soon..

Kelsey said...

Hey buddy,
It's so good to read about your adventures. There are so many corners of the world I can't wait to meet. Your writings of you fulfilling a long-contemplated dream is really inspirational. I can't wait to see you when you get back.
Let me know what that is, we have to catch up and tell each other all of our crazy otherworldly adventures.
Love,
Kelsey

Kelsey said...

Oh, and if you click on my profile, it has a link to the blog I've been keeping about Chile, but if you feel like reading my more personal one (cuz the Chile one is aimed for my family so it's actually kind of a boring one), it's http://eleqtronik.blogspot.com
I have it hidden.
Hugs..