Monday, December 15, 2008

Allow me to steal a theme in the form of a metaphor from a film I saw a while ago: Lost in Translation. Some of you may have seen it. To be honest I don't remember the plot, I don't think I was cognitive to understand the concepts and depth of the film.

But the few things I remember from the film were the constantly changing predictable camera shots. The shots had Bill Murray situated in a moment of random Japanese social interaction. He is blasse about everything. The camera is focused on him while the viewers eyes are distracted by what is going on around him craziness, this evidently being the "lost." This further reminds me of the protagonist from Camu's "The Stranger," impartial to all happenings; existing preceding essence (but that last statement is not what this blog is about, I'm just trying to sound cool).

I will give you one more example of my current situation. For all of you who remember "Garden State," remember the crazy drug/party scene at the beginning of the film. Zach Braff takes an ecstasy pill and enters a world of total chaos while the world spins around him, with his friends running in circles. He sits movement less, starring into space he too is lost in translation. I think I am as well.

I'm in Bangkok. I can appreciate this city. It's great. Even though I believe it is a good way to begin the transition back to what my day calls "reality," I am having a hard time finding solace in anything I see or do. Well that's not entirely true; I can't say that while sitting in the beautiful Lumphini Par, Bangkok's central park. But to be honest, here, things are JUST as they seem.

Thousands of Thai's on the metro are thousand's of Thai's on the metro. A tuk-tuk driver who scams you, is a tuk-tuk driver who scams you. An Indian fashion designer who has an add in a magazine with an invitation to buy 3 suits (Italian), 3 extra pants, 3 shirts, and 3 ties (Thai silk), no not priceless, for only $129 but forgets to mention to the $400 "stitching" charge when being sized is an Indian fashion designer who has an... Not to mention the eternal frat party of Khao San Road and all the individuals (I will admit I like Khao San, but not for very long) it brings.

Maybe reality can just be that boring or maybe because we have given too much significance to what I believe is purposeless, soulless. Don't get me wrong I think material wealth is somewhat valuable, cities are wonderful, cleanliness breeds personal dignity, and dressing nice is fun, but when it exceeds it's balance and the constant bombardment of a new sale of bargain is slapped in your face every minute, that's what things become insignificant, that's when I think you need to "check yo self befo you reck yo self."

I want to make it clear that I am not demeaning anything about Bangkok (this is not influenced by the excessive materialism I see) or the Thai people, they have their thing going on and so do I, that's the beauty of this world, our differences. I also want to clarify that I am not coming back home a hemp wearing demeanor of materialism, but I am questiong the validity of some things our society deems important. Take commercial for example. A commerical's sole purpose is to advertise something so someone buys it. I understand that won't change. To me they are mind seducers. Occupants of our mind, transformers that target our natural thought process. Commercials will continue costing hundreds of thousands of dollars, I will continue watching them, although now more conscious, and my friends in the slums of India, a family of 9, will continue living in a house smaller than my dorm room made from garbage. I understand that is called reality and standards of living and business principles. When we allow our lives to be over run by inconsequential things such as: whatever that make-up store is called that sells ONLY make up out of a store that is probably larger than my house, by a brand name which means hundreds of more dollars, a different sweat shop and a quality somewhat better than those of non-brands, or by the stupid songs that sing about "super manning hoes" "Van's" or "I love my x-box," that's when our lives are overrun by the unnatural and don't have much substance. It's important to live in reality or society and to adhere to a certain degree, we all need acceptance, of what society preaches, but never forget what is natural and important to our internal clarification and our general understanding of the journey to the true successful road of our life; our personal legend. Why? If we don't pay attention to what the universe needs from us, if we forget that we live in a world creating by us not created for us, then we continue to damage it more and ourselves equally. I'm not saying that people need to go out and try to save the world, but what is meaningful in your life? It can be simple, but what's the point of searching after something that has no true inherent personality?

I think my days in Bangkok are relevant and important to a safe and healthy return. I get to ride an ubber-clean sky way and metro, walk the streets with Starbucks looming me, constant cleaning, but still with the traditional nasally, "SA-WAAA-DI-KAAAAAAAAA." Although not the west, yet, it does resemble it, but the touches of S.E. Asian culture makes my decent from what was, to what will be, less of a jump off a cliff, and more of along slide, with a platform in the middle for rest, and then continuation to the bottom where I will eventually get up on my feet and begin walking on solid ground again. That's a good metaphor...

My pilgrimage has been a hike up and infinite hill, just as the road of my personal legend is. The climb is difficult, more at some places than others, flat and ten vertical, even slopes down at times, but the entire climb leads to a top. Eventually I reach a peak which will act as the end of my journey for now. I'm tired my legs are tired. The exhaustion is what I have learned. As I make my decent by way of cliff jumping, by sliding, by an elevator, or by rolling (the latter two have not been part of this journey) I will reach the bottom. I have to pick myself up eventually and begin walking. My legs may feel wobbly and jell-o like at first, but after some rest I feel the new strength in them. This will allow me to walk life, in this case with compassion, humility, and grace. I will walk until I find the next mountain.

back to transitioning. It feels good to not understand the language in a city that resembles mine. It feels good to feel at home, but ever better when reminded by a hott Thai woman advertising a Thai massage that I am not quite yet back. This way I am lost in my thoughts, more concerned about getting off at the right stop than a "finals" grade. It's nice still having to be cognitive of what is going on around me, being excited by new things, at home I often forget I am living, and thinking my pilgrimage is not quite yet over. I'm still sliding, no matter how tired my legs or how sore my ass.

I will admit that I am some what embarrassed by my physical appearance (and this is where social implications have influenced my thoughts, but I don't care because in a way I believe material worth can reproduce in personal dignity). I'm wearing: linen pants that I've worn for the past 3 months. My shirt has lost it's color because of the copious amounts of hand washes, and I think permanently smells, of, well, me, a once brown hat that has served it's purpose, what ever purpose that is, but it now has a new motley colored look with a white sweat line encircling the brim which I haven't seen since little league. I think I just plain smell bad, nuff said. My hair in the back, is beginning to lock in a dread and I hope I can make it to my first pedicure before the dirt under my toe nails begin to rot (haha sorry). My silly wrist and ankle additions will eventually be cut off as will my pathetic excuse for a beard (bad genes, I think I found the indigenous blood in me). It makes sense hwy everyone looks at me and takes a step back when they get too close. "Sorry guys, I'm still translating!" I would say if I could translate from English to Thai.

Now, I'm not sure how to answer the question I'm sure I will be hearing forever: How was your trip to India?" "Good." "Fine." "Great." "Hella-A Great." I don't know, it's a stupid question. But something I do know is that the respect and humility with which I will try to answer, will be driven by the alterations to inherent qualities which have been ignited.

Amidst all the messages I received in my discernment process, I received one which initially seemed dark, but at the same time guided by the moonlight. "Destruction creates creation," writes Sara in response to my statement from a previous blog "my job is to burn people." I agree. It's not a common way to appreciate a change, but it's true and I can appreciate it. In my reflections on India, I have realized I experienced a complete destruction of my long lasting pride, of my inherent immaturity. I'm not saying they are entirely gone, after all destruction leaves some: may it be ashes, a foundation of a building, or any sort of remnants. And it's from these remanats that we rebuild on top of, with, through, by, in reflection of, the remnants. Point being recreation will always remember previous qualities, or previous teachings, maybe not as strong or as dignified, but a change.

I know it will be hard to obtain anything as soul fully challenging as I have experienced. But by not looking for more soul challenges, I know I will find. Just the challenge of being back home and living my new found glory will be a test of my soul's new found teachings.

When one's soul, or whatever you want to call it, inner-being, true character, self, intuition, experiences what I believe I have the translation of the experience to a new reality will take time. MY father is an interpreter. When I was young I would sit outside his room when he was translating via telephone because I loved listening to his native tounge, k'ich'e. What he translated was sad, immigration cases, but the lesson which I will apply to this matter is, through translation an outcome, a new lightwill be, will manifest itself in the person who is being translate for: in this case, me. It's what I of the translation that will really define me, not my experience.

I'm looking forward to this next step. It was much easier to say goodbye to Kalighat, to Calcutta than I thought it would be. And in no way am I, or will I fear coming home. It will be difficult sure, and by these difficulties I will live a new life. I have my men at Kalighat to drive me with every stop I take, graceful steps I want to add. I also have entire communities in all of my homes to acquire help from. Thank you. I'm ready to keep on living, I'm ready for a new challenge. I feel more alive and aware of myself than I ever have. I'm finally driving my own show, truly "living life...bro." A life of curiosity, of discovery, questioning, discernment, reflection, and translation. My life or light truly has a new value. I'm happy.

At times I may feel and even be thoroughly alone, especially in the way I see the world, but in no way will that steer me away from what I believe is just of what I believe deserves to be sought after. After all it's our differences that makes this world diverse. Nothing is black and white unless you make it so.

So with the moonlight guiding an ominous statement initiated by a wonderful thinker, Sara, I am looking to live a new life as the same person only with a new perspective. I have destroyed so much of myself in this pilgrimage, much of what I never would have expected. I fought so hard to murder trivial things and after my battle, leaving scars, wounds, and destruction, I believe I have succeededas an addition to Coelho's silent army of "Warriors of Light." I hope one day I can live my life by sheer soul intuition of what I have experienced and not by my mental capacity. I am looking forward to seeing, talking, and hugging you. I can't wait to finish my translation process. But to get to the end, I have to begin. At 10 am Tuesday, I will disembark off a plane, returning me to my reality, for now. I will be disembarking from a pilgrimage through emotions, discernment, much death and life. I will continue translating what was and what is, so that it will be.

Sure, I did burn people for my job. I destroyed, or cremated people to create ash. As I did to them, they did to me; by doing, seeing, and touching what I did, they destroyed so much of me, creating ash of what was, from which I will and have created. I am looking forward to coming home.

-=Namaste=-

1 comment:

jpozmolesky said...

1. i'm happy you're going home early so you have 4.5 days to wash your smell before i get home...
2. i think we are learning really similar things in polar opposite environments
3. i'm excited to hug you too
4. you are wonderful.